SUCCESS STORY: DIGI-PETROSAINS ROBOTIC PROGRAMME 2017
Name : Amin bin Mohd Razak
Age : 16 years old
School : SMK Dato' Abdul Rahman Yassin;
PI : Pusat Internet (PI) Kampung Sri Jaya, Johor
How the journey begins:
1. On 28-30 March, Amin bin Mohd Razak participated in Digi-Petrosains Robotic Programme 2017 workshop and experienced his first coding and robotic mentoring organised at PI Desa Paya Mengkuang, Johor. During the 3-days workshop, he represented SMK Dato' Abdul Rahman Yassin & was accompanied by Manager & Assistant Manager from Pusat Internet Kampung Sri Jaya.
Amin bin Mohd Razak (far right) holding his first robot prototype with his teammates from SMK Dato' Abdul Rahman Yassin
Amin bin Mohd Razak (front row; third from right) during Digi-Petrosains Robotic Programme 2017 workshop at PI Desa Paya Mengkuang, Johor
2. After attending the workshop, he continues his self-development & skills in coding and robotics under the supervision of PI Sri Jaya Manager & Assistant Manager and online mentoring from Petrosains on regular basis. Using Arduino programming and micro controllers set readily available at PI Sri Jaya, he continues to innovate new idea as his interest in robotics grows further.
3. On 5 August 2017, his SMK Dato' Abdul Rahman Yassin team won 1st place during Digi-Petrosains Robotic Programme State-Level Qualifying Round (JOHOR) with an ingeniously project called: SMART Plate. SMART Plate is a type of plate that is designed to allows businesses to monitor their inventory automatically in real-time and detect irregularities to reduce loss. The project managed to capture the panel of judges’ attention: Mr. Samsudin bin Sujak (Strategic Stakeholder Management (Southern), Digi), Mr. Mohd Kamal bin Kadri (Head of School Programs (Secondary), Petrosains) and Hj. Azmi bin Abu (JPN Johor).
Amin bin Mohd Razak (second from left) won Digi-Petrosains Robotic Programme State-Level Qualifying Round (JOHOR) at PI Desa Paya Mengkuang, Johor
4. On 6-7 October 2017, he represented Johor to the GRAND FINALE of the Digi-Petrosains Robotic Programme 2017 at Digi D’House (Digi Telecommunication Sdn. Bhd. Headquarter) in Shah Alam, Selangor. Despite not winning the competition, the journey has been an incredible achievement for him as he had a lot of fun along the way and developed key skills not only in coding but also teamwork, communication and creative thinking. The innovation challenge was a great experience and has inspired him to pursue his interest in robotics.
Team SMK Dato' Abdul Rahman Yassin during Grand Finale
5. On 3-5 November 2017, after few adjustments and fine-tuning on his robot prototype SMART Plate, he participated under individual category in Kuala Lumpur Engineering Science Fair (KLESF 2017) at the MINES International Exhibition & Convention Centre. KLSEF is one of Malaysia's largest science festival organized annually that aims to promote interest in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) among primary and secondary school students. During the competition, he won 2nd runners up.
Amin bin Mohd Razak Receiving His Award at Kuala Lumpur Engineering Science Fair (KLESF 2017)
6. On 10-20 May 2018, he represented Malaysia during the INTEL International Science and Engineering Fair 2018 (ISEF) at Pittsburgh, USA. He was given full scholarship by INTEL and Ministry of Education Malaysia after impressing them with his robotic and coding knowledge during the screening process held to select Malaysia representative for the competition. During the ISEF 2018, he was grouped in the Robotics and Intelligent Machines Individual Categories competing against over 1600 young scientists worldwide.
Amin bin Mohd Razak representing Malaysia during INTEL International Science and Engineering Fair 2018 (ISEF) at Pittsburgh, USA
From his humble beginning and limited knowledge in robotics till being selected among 10 top students representing Malaysia during ISEF has been a remarkable achievement. It all started from Digi initiative to organize Digi-Petrosains Robotic Programme 2017 workshop at selected Pusat Internet under Digi management nationwide. The program has been an eye-opener for him and has been responsible in creating awareness on the usage of technology by incorporating latest trends in coding and robotics in the digital worlds. Amin bin Mohd Razak story is truly inspirational and has been among many testaments to the success of Digi-Petrosains Robotic Programme 2017 and Pusat Internet (PI) Digi project in providing a learning platform that can help students with the skills to succeed in the 21st Century career opportunities and to inspire them to become more creative and critical thinking, innovative and computer-literate.